3 Butte bowlers in contention at State Tournament
Following Week 4 of the Montana State Bowling Tournament, three Butte bowlers find themselves among the leaders in their respective divisions.
The Doubles C Division duo of Vern Kingston Sr. and Cory Lean, who last week took the lead with a score of 1,538, are now in second place after the Helena duo of William Puknat and Nat Carter topped their score by rolling a 1,598 to take the lead by 60 pins over the boys from Butte.
Shaun Medina is the other Mining City bowler currently among the Top-5 in his respective division. Medina, who was not among the leaders following Week 3, has vaulted up to second place in the B Handicapped Division, totaling 2,267 pins, 62 back of the leader, and just four pins back of second place.
The event is taking place at Sleeping Giant Lanes in Helena.
Butte High tennis matches in Bozeman cancelled
Butte High's tennis matches against Missoula Sentinel and Missoula Hellgate in Bozeman scheduled for Tuesday morning and afternoon were cancelled due to inclement weather in the Bozeman area.
No makeup date was announced.
The Bulldogs' next matches are scheduled for Thursday, also in Bozeman, against Helena Capital and Helena High at 8 a.m.
Manziel indicted on charges for alleged attack on ex-girlfriend
DALLAS (AP) — Former Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel was indicted by a grand jury on Tuesday on a misdemeanor charge stemming from a domestic violence complaint by his ex-girlfriend.
The 2012 Heisman Trophy winner and Texas A&M star was accused by ex-girlfriend Colleen Crowley of hitting her and threatening to kill her during a night out on Jan. 30. Crowley said in court documents that Manziel struck her so hard that she temporarily lost hearing in one ear.
The indictment accuses Manziel of striking Crowley and "forcing (her) into a vehicle and against a vehicle dashboard."
Manziel faces a charge of misdemeanor assault related to family violence, which carries up to one year in jail and a $4,000 fine.
Jury blames police, clears fans in 1989 soccer disaster
WARRINGTON, England (AP) — The families of 96 Liverpool soccer fans who were crushed to death at a crowded stadium in 1989 declared they had finally won justice Tuesday after a jury found that police and emergency services were to blame for Britain's worst sports disaster.
The jury exonerated the behavior of the crowd, saying it did not contribute to the tragedy at Hillsborough Stadium in Sheffield, England, and that the victims were "unlawfully killed."
Relatives who had waged a tireless campaign to protect the reputation of their loved ones leapt to their feet outside a specially built courtroom, cheering and weeping, when the verdicts were announced. They chanted, "Justice for the 96!" and sang the Liverpool soccer club's anthem, "You'll Never Walk Alone."
The original inquest recorded verdicts of accidental death, something the families of the victims refused to accept. Those verdicts were overturned in 2012 after a far-reaching inquiry into the disaster that examined previously secret documents and exposed the wrongdoing and mistakes by police.
Owners of Pistons, Cavs trying to bring MLS to Detroit
DETROIT (AP) — Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores and Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert are teaming up to try to bring a Major League Soccer team to downtown Detroit.
MLS says Commissioner Don Garber will be in Detroit on Wednesday for meetings with the potential ownership group, and there's a news conference scheduled for that day. Garber recently said Detroit was a candidate to get a team.
Gores and Gilbert, both of whom graduated Michigan State, said in a joint statement: "Detroit is rising and we know firsthand the power of sports to lift a community and drive a civic renaissance. We are very excited about the prospect of bringing Major League Soccer to Detroit and building an ownership group that represents a cross-section of investors."