Try 1 month for 99¢

All Clay Fisher needed was 48 seconds.

In that time, the Butte Central sophomore wrestler pinned Corvallis sophomore Allen Allsop for the first of his two wins at 126 pounds at the Butte Central Mixer in the Maroon Activities Center on Thursday night.

Fisher was joined by just two Maroons teammates, but other teams competing included Corvallis, Hamilton, Stevensville and reigning Class A state champion Havre.

Last season, Fisher competed at the Class A state tournament. He won his first match with a pin in one minute, four seconds and lost his second match when he was pinned by Dillon senior Kohltin Starkel. On the second day, Fisher split both of his matches again.

But it was an experience that has helped him two meets into the season.

“Last year I didn’t wrestle really good at state,” Fisher said. “I didn’t finish out the way I wanted to so it’s helped me a lot with wrestling older kids and has prepared me for this year.”

On Thursday night, Fisher’s second match was tougher.

Fisher squared off with Hamilton freshman Bridger Williams and, during the opening period, Fisher struck first with a takedown for a 2-0 lead.

Williams opted to start in the neutral position for the second period. But it didn’t matter, as Fisher knocked him down for a second takedown. Williams ended the period by earning an escape to trail by three points.

During the final period, both grapplers pulled out all their moves. Fisher started the period on the bottom of the referees’ position. He quickly wormed his way out and earned an escape.

The Hamilton freshman launched himself at Fisher and earned a takedown. But Fisher, who has a year of experience over Williams, wasn’t done.

“I just took him down really fast,” Fisher said. “I just worked top and I couldn’t get the move I wanted to do so I let him up. I took him down again. It just kept going back and forth like that until the end.”

Butte Central’s other two wrestlers found success and heartbreak. Junior Roy Russell, who competed in the 113-pound division, lost both of his matches. Maroons junior Colter Stillwagon split his matches

Stillwagon lost his first match against Havre’s Taylor Gopher in overtime when Gopher earned a takedown. During his second match, which was one of the final matches of the night, Stillwagon beat Corvallis senior Kyle McCollaum with a pin in the third period with 30 seconds to spare.

The Hamilton Broncs also saw a mixture of success in the Thursday matches.

“It was not as good as we would of liked,” Hamilton coach Scott Williams said. “We had some tough opposition here tonight. Havre is always tough. I think we could have done better than we did.”

One of the most interesting draws for Hamilton was the battle between senior Justin Hinson and senior Jase Stokes from Havre in the 205-pound weight class. Last winter, Stokes won the 182-pound Class A state title. Hinson competed in the 205-pound weight class and placed third overall.

Stokes ended up on top with a 2-1 victory. But Williams said it probably won’t be the last time this season the two grapplers meet.

“I think that match could go either way,” Williams said. “Just got a stall call and they would have been in overtime if he didn’t get that. We’re going to learn from that and hopefully come back and get him.”

This was the second meet of the season for the Maroons. Coach Robin Moodry said the team wrestled well, but the team is still working on its endurance.

“I think we improved,” Moodry said. “We still have a long ways to go. We just have to keep stepping up and keep on improving.”

The Maroons compete again at noon Friday at the Whitehall Duals. 

Subscribe to Breaking News

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Load comments