Primary greenhouse gases are water vapor, carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, ozone, CFCs and HFCs. Of these, which is the most significant? You may be surprised to learn that it is not carbon dioxide, but rather water vapor. Just how significant is water vapor? Water vapor accounts for roughly 95 percent of Mother Earth’s greenhouse effect. This means all the other greenhouse gases account for only 5 percent of the effect. Of this 5 percent, carbon dioxide is about 3.6 percent, with the remaining greenhouse gases supplying the balance. Now the question becomes what percentage of each of these is anthropogenic? Water vapor (as you recall accounting for 95 percent of the greenhouse effect) is almost 100 percent naturally occurring. Carbon dioxide is roughly 97 percent naturally occurring with the remaining 3 percent being anthropogenic. This implies, when correctly considering the full spectrum of greenhouse gases, that anthropogenic carbon dioxide accounts for only about one tenth of one percent of the greenhouse effect.

This knowledge sheds a different light on the cry for a carbon tax. Even if a carbon tax were to completely mitigate (and it will not) our one tenth of one percent contribution, there would be absolutely no significant change to our climate. A positive to this misinformation is it has accelerated the renewables industry (albeit at our expense). However, to perpetuate one industry on a lie, and at the expense of another, must be stopped. Simply, it is time take a stand. Please write Montana Attorney General Tim Fox and ask him to stand with us.

— TJ Smith, Billings