TUESDAY, JAN. 29
Headwaters RC&D and the Butte Job Service have partnered together to present “Spark: Ignite Your Business” workshop from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Emma Park Community Center. This one-day workshop will cover topics such as financing your business, business ownership and entrepreneurship, understanding markets and your competitive space, the economics of a small business start-up, picking the correct legal entity for your business, business planning and how to create a business cash-flow. The cost is $25 per person and attendees must register beforehand at bit.ly/hwspark.
WEDNESDAY, JAN. 30
• Montana Tech’s Chemisitry & Geochemistry Department seminar series continues at noon in the Chemistry/Biology Building, Room 102. Guest speaker is Grant Wallace a Montana Tech Materials Science PhD Candidate. His presentation is titled “Synthesis of Carbide Ceramics via Adsorption of Anions onto an Activated Carbon Matrix.”
• Montana Tech’s Restoration Seminar runs from 4 to 4:50 p.m. in CBB 102. Guest speaker is Dr. Raja Nagisetty, who will talk about the Grove Gulch Feasibility Study.
FRIDAY, FEB. 1
The Main Stope Gallery will host a show of work by members of Big Sky Scribes during the month of February. The Scribes are a state-wide guild of lettering artists. Calligraphic work from artists in Helena, Bozeman, Missoula and Butte will be on display. An opening reception will be held from 5 to 8 p.m. tonight at the gallery at 8 S. Montana St., in Butte. Gallery hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.
SATURDAY, FEB. 2
Orphan Girl Community Theatre announces its auditions for "Urinetown: The Musical" directed by Mike Verdon of the Brewery Follies. Auditions are for ages 7 and up and will be held between noon and 5 p.m. at the Orphan Girl Theatre, 316 W. Park St. (lower level). If callbacks are needed, they will be from 6 to 8 p.m. at the theatre. Urinetown is a hilarious musical satire of the legal system, capitalism, social irresponsibility, populism, bureaucracy, corporate mismanagement, municipal politics, and musical theatre itself. For more details, character breakdowns, audition materials, and to sign up for an audition, visit www.orphangirl.org.
CLUBS AND MEETINGS
- Top O' The Mornin' Toastmasters will meet at 6:30 a.m. Monday at Perkins.
- Duplicate bridge is played at 1 p.m. every Monday and Thursday at the Hawthorne Community Center, 3500 Whiteway (enter through the back).
- Al-Anon meetings: 7:30 p.m. Mondays, Congregational Church; 7 p.m. first Tuesdays, business meeting, Comfort Inn; 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Gold Hill Lutheran Church; 7:30 p.m. Thursdays, Sharing and Caring, 2100 Farragut (rear entrance).
- Uptown Toasters meeting is at noon Tuesday at the Butte Archives, 17 W. Quartz St. Details: 406-782-3280.
- Silver Bow Kiwanis Club meets at noon Tuesdays at Perkins for discussion of club projects and events, lunch, and a speaker.
- Butte Exchange Club meets at noon Tuesdays at 16 E. Granite St. (second floor). Details: Steve 782-4253.
- Loosely Knit Club meets from 1 to 3 p.m. every Tuesday at the Butte Public Library to knit, crochet, or craft together in a welcoming and supportive environment. The group welcomes new members and drop-ins.
- Montana's Peer Network holds peer-run group sessions for mental health and addictions recovery every Tuesday at 6 p.m. and Thursday at 1 p.m. at the Butte Public Library in the Frank Little room. Details: 406-451-3087.
- Fine Line Dancers have adult beginner and beginner+ line dance classes at 6 p.m. every Tuesday at the Knights of Columbus Hall. Classes are $4. Details: 406-560-1934.
- Story Time takes place in the Butte Public Library's children's room every Tuesday beginning at 6:30 p.m. Details: 406-723-3361.
- Open AA meetings start at 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays at the United Congregational Church, 2945 Bayard St. Details: 406-560-7330.
- Butte Sunrise Kiwanis Club meets at 7 a.m. Wednesday at Perkins. Guest speaker will be Juliann Crnich, director of United Way of Butte and Anaconda.
- The Butte Garden Club will meet at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Butte-Silver Bow Archives, 17 W. Quartz St. The two planned presentations will be -- "Composting" by David Reichhardt, with an additional program on "Getting Back to Basics". The public is welcome. If you would like to join, the club pays first year dues of $20. Details: Norman DeNeal at 406-723-6656 or
- Butte Kiwanis meets at noon Wednesday at Perkins.
- Overeaters Anonymous meets at 6 p.m. Wednesdays at Gold Hill Lutheran Church, 934 Placer St. Details: 406-533-5454.
- Women's AA meetings are at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays at The Springs, 300 Mount Highland Drive.
- Elks Lodge of Butte will host a bingo night at 7 p.m. every Wednesday. Details: 406-299-2443 or 406-490-3329.
- The Living Word Prayer Group will begin its prayer meetings at 7 p.m., instead of 7:30 p.m. on every Wednesday. The group meets weekly at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church, 1500 Majors St. Details: Sue Walsh, 406-593-1218.
- Visit the library's Nerd Herd for computer help from 10 a.m. to noon on the first Thursday of every month at the Belmont Senior Center, 615 E. Mercury St. Details: 406-723-3361 or www.buttepubliclibrary.info.
- The Montana Independent Living Project hosts a group for women with disabilities from 2 to 3:30 p.m. every Thursday at 3475 Monroe Ave., suite 103. Come for sharing, support, and a sense of community.
- Rotary Club of Butte meets at noon Thursday at the Butte Country Club.
- Butte High School class of 1969 will have a reunion meeting at 6 p.m. Thursday at the Butte Country Club.
- A suicide loss support group meets from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Thursdays in the Butte Public Library. Call before attending for the first time. Details: Beth at 406-490-1279 or Mary Alice at 406-533-9899.
- The 2018-2019 season of ACC Cribbage, with the Big Butte Mile High Cribbers, takes place at East Side Athletic Club at 6:30 p.m. every Thursday. Play nine games against nine opponents. Details: Phil at 406-494-2618.
- Books and Babies starts at 11 a.m. and Story Time follows at 11:15 in the Butte Public Library's children's room every Friday. Details: 406-723-3361.
- An anxiety and depression support group meets at 1:30 p.m. every Saturday at 721 S. Montana.
- Marine Corps League will have a breakfast at 9 a.m. Saturday at Chef’s Garden.