MONDAY, JULY 29
AT THE CAVERNS
Learn how to engage with nature more deeply at 8 p.m. at Lewis & Clark Caverns, with an evening of citizen science at the caverns. Following a brief talk, visitors will take the short (less than a mile) walk up to the park’s maintenance shed to see the emergence of the largest bat colony in the park. Visitors will learn about the active bat surveys going on this year and find out more about how they can get involved in citizen science.
TUESDAY, JULY 30
Butte CPR will host a salvage sale from 4 to 6 p.m. in the alley behind the Piccadilly Museum at 20 W. Broadway St. Stop by and shop, donate an item or volunteer your time helping us out.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 31
The Butte Community Band will hold its second concert of the summer at 7 p.m. at the Stodden Park band shell. The band will perform marches, jazz and light concert pieces. Admission is free. Bring your own lawn chair. In case of rain, the performance will move to the Plaza Mall.
THURSDAY, AUG. 1
HIKE THROUGH HISTORY
The "Hike through History" series for adults begins at 8:30 a.m. Jocelyn Dodge will be talking about Thompson Park. Walkers are asked to meet at the Sagebrush Flats Trailhead in Thompson Park (moderate). Each walk is free, but a $5 donation is suggested with proceeds going to benefit the Local Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening Fund, as well as the Friends of the Butte Archives. Snacks and water will be provided. No dogs allowed. For details and directions, go to www.co.silverbow.mt.us/2143/Hike-Through-History or call the Archives at 406-782-3280.
The Montana Tech Research Office and Montana INBRE will host the Montana Tech Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Poster Symposium from 2 to 3 p.m. in the Copper Lounge. Refreshments will be served. Details: 406-496-4102 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Science Mine, 36 E. Granite St., will be open 3 to 7 p.m. How does a thermometer work? Learn about heat energy, temperature, and thermal expansion while making, calibrating, and testing your own thermometer!
NERD HERD AT BELMONT
Butte Public library's Nerd Herd will be at the Belmont Senior Center on 10 a.m. to noon. This drop-in session is for people who have questions about their devices. For details, call the library at 723-3361 or visit buttepubliclibrary.info.
FRIDAY, AUG. 2
ALIVE AFTER 5
Alive After 5 takes place from 5 to 8 p.m. every Friday through Aug. 16 in Durston Park. It includes live music, food vendors, and arts & crafts. This year, laser tag and a jump house have been added as well.
The First Fridays series at the Butte Public Library continues with Washington artist, Karen Sawyer. She will speak about her work with public art and engagement at noon in the Big Butte room. Sawyer will also be featured in the August exhibition in the Carle Gallery. For details, call 723-3361 or visit buttepubliclibrary.info.
SATURDAY, AUG. 3
The Butte farmers market offers fresh produce, other foods, all kinds of plants and a variety of arts and crafts. Vendors line up every Saturday on both sides of West Park Street between Gamer's Café and the Phoenix Building from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Montana State Parks will host a Junior Ranger campout at Lewis & Clark Caverns State Park starting at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday and ending at 11 a.m. on Sunday. Parents of junior rangers sign up either in person at the Main (lower) Visitor Center or call the park at 406-287-3541. Donations are greatly appreciated and help with the continuation of programs such as this.
CLUBS AND MEETINGS
- Duplicate bridge is played at 1 p.m. every Monday and Thursday at the Hawthorne Community Center, 3500 Whiteway (enter through the back).
- Al-Anon meetings: 7:30 p.m. Mondays, Congregational Church; 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Gold Hill Lutheran Church; 7:30 p.m. Thursdays, Sharing and Caring, 2100 Farragut (rear entrance).
- Silver Bow Kiwanis Club meets at noon Tuesdays at Perkins for discussion of club projects and events, lunch, and a speaker.
- Uptown Toasters’ meeting is at noon Tuesday at the Butte Archives, 17 W. Quartz St. Details: 406-782-3280.
- Butte Exchange Club meets at noon Tuesdays at 16 E. Granite St. (second floor). Details: Steve 782-4253.
- Loosely Knit Club meets from 1 to 3 p.m. every Tuesday at the Butte Public Library to knit, crochet, or craft together in a welcoming and supportive environment. The group welcomes new members and drop-ins.
- Story Time takes place in the Butte Public Library's children's room every Tuesday beginning at 6:30 p.m. Details: 406-723-3361.
- Open AA meetings start at 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays at the United Congregational Church, 2945 Bayard St. Details: 406-560-7330.
- Lego Build is from 4 to 5 p.m. Tuesdays at the Butte Public Library's Teen Zone.
- Butte Sunrise Kiwanis Club meets at 7 a.m Wednesday at Perkins. Guest speaker will be Ana Nelson Shaw, Community Relations and Spiritual Care Coordinator for Easter Seals-Goodwill Highlands Hospice.
- Big Sky Senior Living. Call Georgia at 406-782-5772 or June at 406-723-6780.
- Warped Weavers meet 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays at the Butte-Silver Bow Public Library, third floor, 226 W. Broadway St. Curious about weaving? Come watch, ask questions; there may be a loom for you to try. Details: 406-782-5784.
- Butte Chess Club meets from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays at the Butte Public Library (first floor).
- Butte Kiwanis will meet at noon Wednesday at Perkins.
- Overeaters Anonymous meets at 6 p.m. Wednesdays at Gold Hill Lutheran Church, 934 Placer St. Details: 406-533-5454.
- Women's AA meetings are at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays at The Springs, 300 Mount Highland Drive.
- Wii games are played from 4 to 5 p.m. Wednesdays at the Butte Public Library's Teen Zone.
- Living Word Prayer group meets at 7 p.m. every Wednesday in the office building of St. John the Evangelist Church, 1500 Majors St. Details: 406-593-1218.
- Line Dancing Class with Colleen Klobucar is from 1:30 to 3 p.m. Wednesdays at the Butte YMCA.
- Butte Threshold Singers meet at 9 a.m. every Thursday at the Big Sky Senior Living chapel. The group prepares to sing at the bedside of terminal patients. All singers are welcome. Call Highlands Hospice office at 406-533-0020 or Sue Walsh at 406-593-1218. Alternative practice times are available.
- Montana Independent Living Project hosts a group for women with disabilities from 2 p.m. to 3:30 every Thursday at 3475 Monroe Ave., suite 103. Come for sharing, support, and a sense of community.
- Rotary Club of Butte meets at noon every Thursday at the Butte Country Club.
- Line Dancing Class with Colleen Klobucar is from 7 to 9 p.m. Thursdays at the Butte YMCA. Members get in free; non-members pay $5.
- A suicide loss support group meets from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Thursdays in the Butte Public Library. Call before attending for the first time. Details: Beth at 406-490-1279 or Mary Alice at 406-533-9899.
- The after-school Manga and Anime Club in the Teen Zone meets from 4 to 5 p.m. Thursdays at the Butte Public Library's Teen Zone.
- Summer cribbage at 7 p.m. every Thursday through Aug. 29 at the East Side Athletic Club (seven games). Everyone is welcome. Sponsored by Big Butte Mile High Cribbers. Details: Phil at 406-494-2618.
- Books and Babies starts at 11 a.m. and Story Time follows at 11:15 in the Butte Public Library's children's room every Friday. Details: 406-723-3361.
- Butte Public Library hosts Chess Club from 2 to 4:45 p.m. Fridays on the first floor. All ages and abilities are welcome. No experience necessary, just a desire to play.
- An anxiety and depression support group meets at 1:30 p.m. every Saturday at 721 S. Montana.
- Emotions Anonymous, a 12-step group, meets at 7 p.m. every Tuesday and Thursday in the library of the Hearthstone Apartments, 400 Oak St. Details: 406-563-5402 or emotionsanonymous.org.