A mine tunnel fire at the Mountain Con continues to smolder. Authorities say the blaze is staying put and is not dangerous.
Officials believe an ember from a welding job on a drain pipe caused the blaze, which was first reported to authorities Sunday.
Jeff Miller, Butte-Silver Bow director of fire services, said Tuesday that firefighters found flames burning hot underground after opening the area with a backhoe. The fire is burning timber and other remnants in the tunnel.
"It's not going anywhere," Miller said. "The hoist house is safe."
You have free articles remaining.
"The danger has been mitigated."
Fire crews were on scene Sunday when a neighbor reported smoke billowing from the tunnel and extinguished the flames. Additional work was done on Monday.
Miller said fires like this are rare but not unheard of. A similar blaze happened about seven years ago at the Kelley Mine. Someone welding also sparked that one.