Try 1 month for 99¢

A 36-year-old man is dead after being shot by a Butte police officer this morning, Sheriff Ed Lester said.

A woman called police at 1:51 a.m. saying her husband had been drinking and that they were involved in an argument at 604 S. Clark St. She also advised police her husband was armed with two handguns, and had just picked up a rifle. Two children also were in the home, the sheriff said.

Butte-Silver Bow Police officers responded to the location.

The sheriff said:

The initial arriving officer saw a male inside the residence armed with a rifle.

The officer was standing outside the house, near the front door of the residence. At one point, the suspect male put down the rifle. Shortly thereafter, the male opened the front door of the residence.

The officer on scene began to give the male verbal commands. The male stepped back into the residence, produced a handgun, and began firing at the officer. The officer also fired his handgun at the suspect. The suspect sustained several gunshot wounds; the officer was not injured.

Officers at the scene rendered medical aid to the injured suspect. The male was transported to St. James Healthcare. The male died as a result of gunshot wounds sustained in the incident, the sheriff said.

Agents from the Montana Division of Criminal Investigation are on scene and investigating the incident.

Brad Taggart lives next door to 604 S. Clark St. He said his bedroom window faces the house, and he was awakened about 2 a.m. to the sound of a man yelling. Taggart's dogs, who were in his bedroom, also started barking.

"I heard a guy scream, can't remember what he said, but it was some guy yelling and then five gunshots. Then, within a minute, we had police here and fire trucks,'' Taggart told The Montana Standard.

Taggart, who has lived 14 years in the neighborhood, said he didn't know the occupants of 604 S. Clark Street, and believes they moved in last fall. The house has seen several different occupants since its owner died some years ago, he said.

Taggart said he knows all his other neighbors. He didn't go outside during the commotion, but later in the morning ventured out to see the neighborhood and street cordoned off with police tape.

More information will be released as it becomes available. The sheriff set a briefing at 1 p.m. today.

Subscribe to Daily Headlines

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Load comments