Missing inmate prompts prison to sound its escape alarm; inmate is found without incident

Missing inmate prompts prison to sound its escape alarm; inmate is found without incident

  • 0

DEER LODGE — An unaccounted for inmate — serving time for rape and kidnapping — forced Montana State Prison in Deer Lodge to sound its siren alarm Saturday about 4:30 p.m.

Staff immediately searched the facility, and Harry Robert Lamar was found within the fenced area of the Industries Compound, according to a prison news release. Details of the apprehension were not made available.

Lamar was taken into custody without incident, with no injury to staff or Lamar.

The prison will be on lock down until the investigation is complete, the release said. However, visitation is planned to occur as scheduled on Sunday.

Lamar was sentenced to out of Missoula County in 2007 for sexual intercourse without consent, aggravated kidnapping, and burglary. Inmate Lamar was sentenced to 150 years; he is not eligible for parole.

A newspaper report in the Missoulian in 2007 said Lamar, of Oregon, kidnapped a woman at knifepoint and raped her in a wooded area near Seeley Lake.

Missoula County authorities arrested Lamar the evening of July 20, 2006, after combing a densely forested area near Seeley Lake all day.

When a deputy eventually caught up to the man, Lamar refused to comply with officer's orders to surrender and instead brandished a stick that had been whittled into the shape of a handgun. Lamar refused to drop the stick, so the officer shot him with a TASER gun and arrested the man.

According to court records, Lamar entered the victim's home while she was sleeping early that morning, grabbed a knife from the kitchen and held the woman at knifepoint, threatening to kill her if she screamed. Lamar then bound and gagged the woman, forced her into the back seat of her own car and drove around Seeley Lane and onto Owl Creek Loop Road.

When Lamar stopped the car, he told the woman they were going for a walk. However, once they had entered a wooded area, Lamar told the woman to undress and lie down on the ground, then raped her.

Afterward, the woman asked Lamar if he intended to release her, and he said he would not let her go. Later, he told the woman that he would only let her go after he had sex with her again. However, Lamar eventually released the woman without raping her a second time, and allowed her to take the car.

When Hanson arrested Lamar, the deputy did not immediately find the knife, but Lamar explained that he had stashed the weapon in a nearby barn, where he had apparently been hiding.

Lt. Rich Maricelli, of the sheriff's office, said the woman recognized Lamar because he had been working an odd job clearing junk metal from an adjacent property for several weeks. Lamar had been living temporarily in a nearby trailer, but the victim did not know the man personally.


Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News