Fire broke out in a rustic house tucked off a frontage road near the East Ridge late Friday morning and was widespread when firefighters arrived, but four kids and a dog made it outside safely.
The children's parents weren’t at the house at 4500 Saddle Rock Road when the fire started, said Ed Cleary, an acting captain with the Butte-Silver Bow Fire Department. Two of the children were ages 10 and 6 but he didn’t know the ages of the other two.
A couple driving by the house noticed flames and smoke around 11:40 a.m. and called for help. Flames were shooting out when firefighters arrived. Several trucks and firefighters, including some from the Home Atherton Volunteer Fire Department, responded to the scene.
You have free articles remaining.
Smoke was still billowing out of the log-style house, especially from the back of the top floor, about 25 minutes after the fire was reported. Cleary said firefighters were inside and he believed there were still flames in the attic. Damage was significant.
He didn’t want to speculate on a cause but said Fire Marshal Brian Doherty had been called to the scene to investigate. It was snowing lightly and about 12 degrees at the time.