A fire burned parts of an old vacant house on South Main Street just as storms and lighting were rolling through Butte late Sunday night but firefighters were able to contain the blaze to two rooms.
Flames were coming out a rear bedroom window of the house at 671 S. Main St. when firefighters got there. The house is scrunched between two other buildings.
“The crews did a good job of keeping the fire away from the two buildings,” Brian Doherty, Butte-Silver Bow’s fire marshal, said Monday morning.
You have free articles remaining.
The house is frequented by vagrants and although most of it is boarded up, a window to the rear bedroom was open, Doherty said. It appears as if someone might have lit something to cause the fire, but that doesn’t mean it was set on purpose. It is still under investigation.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire and had left the scene after about 90 minutes, Doherty said, but there was still heavy fire damage to the bedroom and an adjoining room and significant smoke damage to the rest of the house.
The house has been vacant some time and all utilities were shut off.