DEER LODGE — A Deer Lodge businessman pleaded not guilty in Deer Lodge district court Tuesday to multiple felony crimes including kidnapping, two counts of assault with a weapon and three counts of rape involving two women.

Bruce Arnold Anderson, 64, owner of Deer Lodge Asphalt, also faces a burglary charge. He is free after posting a $25,000 bond.

According to court records, between Nov.17-20, 2015, Jane Doe One reported to the Deer Lodge assistant chief of police she had been sexually assaulted and threatened, and then spoke with the Powell County victim advocate who arranged for a forensic interview and examination in Missoula on Nov. 20.

The victim reported she had been given a ride home from a wedding in Garrison in July by Anderson. She allegedly did not remember much about the ride home and said she woke up the next morning naked in Anderson’s bed, hurting all over. She dressed and went home, but said she did not feel well until two days later. Based upon being naked and how she hurt, she felt that Anderson had had sexual intercourse with her that night, court documents state.

On Nov. 17, Anderson allegedly entered her home by deception with a .45-caliber pistol. She reported Anderson was upset that she wanted to break up with him and held her in the home, threating to kill her and her son and then himself.

She allegedly went into the bedroom to calm him down and then had sexual relations with him fearing that if she did not submit that he would harm her and her son. His actions terrorized her and prevented her from leaving the residence with her son until Anderson had left.

According to court records, also in late November, a second person, Jane Doe Two, a 55-year-old woman, met with the victim witness advocate and informed her she had been sexually assaulted by Anderson in August 2015.

The victim said she was introduced to Anderson at a party where she allegedly had a couple of glasses of wine. Following the party, Anderson offered her a ride on his motorcycle to go to a bar near Deer Lodge. She had a glass of wine at the bar and when they began the ride back things became blurry. The record states she did not remember getting to her home, but later woke up in her bed feeling groggy and could hardly move.

She heard Anderson knocking on her door asking to come in, but told him she didn’t feel well and to leave. She reported the next thing she knew he was coming in her bedroom window after taking off the screen, but she was paralyzed and could not move, court documents state. At one point she woke up feeling she was being sexually assaulted, and said in the morning Anderson was in her bed. She still felt ill and hurt all over her body. He allegedly left to go to work, and eventually Jane Doe Two was able to get up, replaced the window screen and told a friend what happened to her that night, documents show.

Anderson allegedly later came to her apartment again while she was doing laundry and grabbed her breasts; she told him she was not that kind of a woman and told him to leave, which he did.

If found guilty Anderson could be sentenced to death, life in prison or up to 430 years in prison and fined up to $350,000. The maximum penalty for kidnapping is death, life or 100 years in prison and a $50,000 fine. Maximum penalty for each sexual crime is life or two-100 years in prison and $50,000 fine; each assault with a weapon 20 years in prison and $50,000 fine; burglary 10 years in prison and $50,000.

The next court hearing has not been set.

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Load comments