Try 1 month for 99¢

According to Undersheriff George Skuletich, police first dealt with Seidel Lee Pine, 31, and the 33-year-old victim, who reportedly had a relationship with Pine, on Nov. 17.

Officers were called to a local neighborhood because Pine and the woman were fighting in the street, Skuletich said. When they arrived, Pine and the woman said everything was fine.

More than a week later on Nov. 28, Skuletich said Butte police received a call from Missoula dispatch requesting a welfare check on the woman. Skuletich said Missoula dispatch had received a call from the woman’s relatives, who believed she may be in danger. The relatives had reportedly received text messages from the woman that said she feared for her life, Skuletich said.

Missoula dispatch determined the woman may be in Butte, not Missoula, but Skuletich said there may have been some confusion as the woman has a Missoula address.

After talking with Missoula dispatch, Butte officers knocked on a residence on the Flat, where they believed Pine and the woman were at. There was no answer, and officers did not have enough information to make entry, Skuletich said.

The next morning, Nov. 29, police knocked on the Flat residence again and there was no answer. Police then put an “attempt to locate” release out statewide for the woman, as they feared for her safety, Skuletich said.

Later that day around 7 p.m., the woman reportedly escaped Pine’s confinement and called police from the Stokes Market on Harrison Avenue. Officers met her there, then transported her to St. James Healthcare.

The woman told police that over the past few days, Pine held her against her will and transported her to various locations between Butte and Rocker, Skuletich said. She also told police Pine sexually assaulted her and beat her. Skuletich said officers noticed bruising and injuries to her face and upper body.

“She said she feared for her life as Pine had abused her several other times in the past,” Skuletich said.

Subscribe to Breaking News

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

As previously reported, police detained Pine shortly after speaking with the victim. He was located at the residence on the Flat. Pine was placed on a 48-hour investigative hold while detectives determined what charges to file. Those determinations were made Friday.

According to court documents, Pine was charged with aggravated kidnapping and sexual intercourse without consent, two felonies. He was also charged with partner or family member assault, a misdemeanor, for “punching and kicking” the victim.

For each felony conviction, Pine could be fined up to $50,000 and “be imprisoned in the state prison for a term not to exceed life,” court documents stated.

For the misdemeanor, Pine could be fined between $100 and $1,000, as well as spend at least one day but no more than a year in county jail.

As of Monday morning, Skuletich said the investigation is still ongoing.

Subscribe to Breaking News

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.


Load comments