Subscribe for 17¢ / day
Home on 2700 block of George Street

Pictured here is the home on the 2700 block of George Street where a fire broke out early Saturday morning. A dog was rescued from the home along with two lizards. The dog was affixed with a specialized pet oxygen mask. The residents were not at home at the time of the fire. The cause of the fire was an unattended candle.

A dog was treated with a pet oxygen mask after firefighters responded to a house fire on the 2700 block of George Street early Saturday, the Butte Silver-Bow Fire Department said in a statement released on social media.

Fire Marshal Brian Doherty said the dog was observed lying on the floor of the residence amid black-out smoke conditions and appeared to have labored breathing. The dog was carried out by Captain Bryan Cetraro and hooked up to the specialized oxygen mask. The residents were not at home at the time of the fire, Doherty said.

Doherty said an unattended candle burning in the kitchen caused the fire. Firefighters were dispatched to the blaze around 1:20 a.m.

When they arrived, the fire department said in its statement, they could see smoke coming from the attic and eaves.

Doherty said the kitchen sustained major damage and there was smoke and water damage throughout the home.

The dog, meanwhile, was taken to a veterinarian by a family member or friend and “appears to be doing well,” the statement said.

Doherty said the fire department has seven pet oxygen masks, which it received after being awarded a grant. An employee at the Front Street Safeway applied for the grant on behalf of the Butte-Silver Bow Fire Department, Doherty said.

“We normally find animals in this type of situation too little, too late,” Doherty said.

Two lizards were also rescued during the Saturday morning fire. Their condition is unknown, the statement said.

Firefighters cleared the scene at 3:26 a.m.


Business Reporter

Business Reporter for The Montana Standard.

Load comments