You are the owner of this article.
Butte man arrested for alleged attempted homicide after officers find another man bleeding from neck

Butte man arrested for alleged attempted homicide after officers find another man bleeding from neck


Butte police say they have arrested a 38-year-old Butte man in relation to a possible knife-related attempted homicide.

Undersheriff George Skuletich said Richard Girard was taken into custody early Monday morning on an investigative hold after he was identified as a possible suspect in the slashing of a 70-year-old Butte man.

According to a police report, police spotted the 70-year-old victim around 2:20 a.m., Monday, after responding to a call about suspicious activity on the 1000 block of Zarelda Street.

As police spoke with the caller, they noticed that a man, the victim, was walking toward them and that he was bleeding from the neck and had blood down the front of his body.

Skuletich said that the man had a knife laceration on the neck and that a witness at the scene identified Girard as a possible suspect.

The witness also told officers that Girard may have gotten a ride to the Uptown bar Party Palace, 1 W. Park St., where police later took Girard into custody, according to the police report.

Skuletich said a warrant was issued for Girard’s arrest Tuesday afternoon, at which time he was formally cited with attempted deliberate homicide.

Skuletich said Tuesday he did not at that time know where the slashing incident took place or how the victim and Girard are connected.

He added that the 70-year-old victim was taken to St. James Healthcare early Monday morning but that his condition was unknown to police as of Tuesday afternoon.

Monday wasn’t Girard’s first run-in with the law, according to previous news stories.

In 2006, Girard was sentenced to 10 years in the Montana State Prison with five suspended for felony intimidation. Court documents say Girard threatened to kill a police officer during a traffic stop, going as far as describing where the officer lived. He was released from prison in 2011.

In May 2017, police arrested Girard for allegedly trespassing in the Kelley mineyard shoeless and hitting himself in the head with rocks. He bonded out of jail the next day, May 6, 2017, but was in police custody again hours later after a man accused Girard of allegedly striking him in the face and back with a weapon.

Girard was also arrested September 2017 for trespassing in the yard of a home on the 600 block of Crystal Street. During that incident, the 38-year-old allegedly told officers he would have his dragons attack them if they tried to arrest him.

Samm Cox, deputy county attorney, told The Montana Standard in September that a judge had at that time ordered a mental-health evaluation for the 38-year-old.

As of Tuesday afternoon, Girard remained in Butte county jail with a bail set at $150,000.


Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.


News Alerts

Breaking News