Darby Superintendent Loyd Rennaker has confirmed another social media threat toward the school on Wednesday, but said it is not on lockdown.
“We’ve taken some extra safety precautions, but we are not in lockdown mode,” Rennaker said at 12:45 p.m. Wednesday. “We don’t have any reason to believe there is a dangerous person on campus.”
Extra law enforcement officers were at the school Wednesday, including four Ravalli County Sheriff's Department officers and Darby Police.
“We don’t have any incident on campus, we’re just trying to figure it out,” Rennaker said. “I had to send out an email to say we’ve received another level of threat and we’ve had a pretty steady stream of parents coming to take their children home from school.”
Ravalli County Sheriff Steve Holton said they're investigating the new threat, which was a SnapChat message referencing the threats from earlier this week and adding new threats. The SnapChat message was received by a Darby student Wednesday morning, who brought it to the attention of school and law officials.
Holton said investigators have determined the threat likely came from outside of Montana, and they're working with out-of-state law enforcement agencies to identify the suspect and confirm the location of the person who sent it.
At the end of the school day, Rennaker said there was nothing to update.
“We get out on Wednesdays at 2:30 p.m. so the students are gone for the day,” Rennaker said at 3:25 p.m. “We got all the kids home safe and there is not update at this point.”
School will be open Thursday, with what Holton calls a "significant" law enforcement presence.