The first major snow storm of the 2012-2013 winter season has hit and NorthWestern Energy is reminding customers of important safety measures.
Heavy wet, blowing snow can block heating and appliance exhaust vents which can cause equipment to malfunction resulting in a loss of heat or a buildup of deadly carbon monoxide in the structure. Look for your natural gas appliance vents – which often are on the roof – to ensure they are clear of snow. Keep natural gas vents clear, unobstructed and free of debris. Some direct-vent and high-efficiency appliances have direct side wall outdoor vents and air intakes that could become obstructed during heavy snowfall.
It at any time if you smell a strong and persistent odor similar to sulfur or rotten eggs, leave your home immediately and avoid using any electric appliances such as light switches, garage door openers and phones—including a cell phone. Unlike natural gas, carbon monoxide is odorless and may be present when a fuel is not burned completely due to inadequate combustion air or when exhaust vents become clogged. Carbon monoxide symptoms include headache, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and confusion.
When you are at a safe distance away, call NorthWestern Energy at (888) 467-2669 or 911 to report the concern.