Tuesday, March 13
The 2018 Southwest Montana All-Star Basketball Classic will be held at the Montana Tech HPER Complex. The event, which features the top 24 boys and girls basketball players in southwest Montana, will begin with a girls game at 6 p.m., followed by a boys game at 7:30. The event is sponsored by the Butte Chamber of Commerce Hospitality Committee. This year’s event will include a new wrinkle with the addition of a 30-second shot clock. Three-point contest, featuring the top shooters in southwest Montana, will be held at both halftimes. Butte’s own Dynamic Dance and Tumbling will also provide half-time performances. Tickets for the event will be available all day Tuesday at the Butte Chamber of Commerce, 1000 George St. Tickets will go on sale at 5 p.m. Tuesday at the HPER Complex.
Members or non-members of any veteran affiliated organization are asked to help identify people from the C. Owen Smithers collection of photos and memorabilia from American Legion Post 1. This will be done at 1 p.m. at the Butte Archives, 17 W. Quartz St. Veterans’ help is needed and appreciated to accomplish this so Butte area veterans of this community are not forgotten.
Aimee Reynolds, Montana Department of Environmental Quality risk assessor, is giving a talk at 6 p.m. at the Quarry Brewery, 124 W. Broadway St., about how scientists evaluate certain types of contamination. She will discuss how much exposure to toxins in the environment is safe for human health and the environment. Her talk will focus on dioxin and furans, both of which are contamination found at the Montana Pole Plant site off Josette Avenue, south of Silver Bow Creek. The talk is presented by Citizens Technical Environmental Committee.
CLUBS AND MEETINGS
- The Men’s Ancient Order of Hibernians will meet for its monthly meeting at 6:30 p.m. at Carpenters Union Hall to finalize plans for this year’s St. Patrick’s Day festivities. The induction of new members will take place prior to the meeting. The meeting will conclude with the traditional corned beef and cabbage meal.
- Silver Bow Kiwanis Club meets at noon at Perkins for discussion of club projects and events, lunch, and a speaker.
- The Ladies Ancient Order of Hibernians will meet at 6:30 p.m. in the community room of The Springs.
- Uptown Toasters will meet at noon at the Butte Archives, 17 W. Quartz St. Details: 406-782-3280.
- The Loosely Knit Club meets from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Butte Public Library to knit, crochet, or craft together in a welcoming and supportive environment. The group welcomes new members and drop-ins.
- Butte Exchange Club meets at noon at 16 E. Granite St. (second floor). Details: Steve 782-4253.
- Open AA meetings start at 7:30 p.m. at the United Congregational Church, 2945 Bayard St. Details: 406-560-7330.