Wednesday, March 14
The Butte-Silver Bow Public Archives at 17 W. Quartz St., will continue its Brown Bag Lunch series at noon with a presentation by Bill Farley about James E. Murray (U.S. senator, 1934-1961). Farley is the author of the new biography, "James A. Murray, Butte's Radical Irish Millionaire.'' He will discuss how he rescued Murray from obscurity, provide an overview of the book and its many characters, and, in recognition of the upcoming St. Patrick's Day celebration, delve into Murray's radical measures to support a free Ireland. Guests are encouraged to bring a sack lunch. Coffee and water will be provided. Details: 406-782-3280.
The fifth annual Butte Cystic Fibrosis NCAA Basketball Calcutta begins at 5:30 p.m. at the Butte Country Club. In the Calcutta, all 68 teams in the 2018 NCAA Men's Division I basketball tournament will be auctioned off to the highest bidder, which can be either a single person or team of people. Ten percent of the money bid on teams will be donated to the foundation, with the rest going into the "pot." If a team wins even one game, the successful bidder for that team is guaranteed a share of the prize pot. The event is legal and licensed by the state of Montana. Anyone over the age of 18 is welcome to attend. Details: Rick Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Friends of the Hearst Free Library in Anaconda will show the Walt Disney film "Fantasia," at 6 p.m. at 401 Main St., Anaconda. The movie is free, and so are the snacks. The 1940 classic was Disney’s third animated feature film.
CLUBS AND MEETINGS
- Butte Sunrise Kiwanis Club meets at 7 a.m. at Perkins Restaurant. Guest speaker will be Deanna Johnson from the Butte Kiwanis Club to talk about the partnership between the Sunshine Camp and the YMCA.
- Preceptor Beta, Beta Sigma Phi, will hold its St. Patrick's Day party at 6:30 p.m. in the home of Pauline deBarathy, 127 Renz. There will be a baked potato bar with toppings. Remember to bring your St. Patrick's Day cards for your secret sisters.
- Overeaters Anonymous meets at 6:15 p.m. at Gold Hill Lutheran Church, 934 Placer St. Details: 406-533-5454.
- Butte Central class of 1968 will have a reunion meeting at 7 p.m. at Perkins. All classmates are invited to attend.
- Women's AA meetings are at 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays at The Springs, 300 Mount Highland Drive.
- Butte Kiwanis Club meets at noon at Perkins. The presentation will be by Robert Moler, EPA and John Ray, Montana Tech.
- Bingo is held at the Elks Lodge, Montana and Galena, at 7 p.m. All are welcome. The more people in attendance, the larger the payout. Details: 406-299-2443 or 406-490-3329.
- The Dillon Kiwanis meet at noon at the Beaverhead Brewery, 218 S. Montana St., in downtown Dillon. Guest speaker is Bill Warren of H & R Block. With the tax season upon us, Warren will talk about what to be aware of when filing your 2017 taxes.