Wednesday, Feb. 14
ASHES ON THE STREET
The church season of Lent begins today with Ash Wednesday. For the third year in a row, pastors from several area congregations will be providing an opportunity for people to receive ashes and a brief prayer on the corner of Montana & Broadway beginning at noon.
Rayelynn Brandl of Montana Tech will talk about the "Prioritizing Restoration: Difficult Decisions within a Superfund Site" from 4 to 5 p.m. in the Chemistry/Biology Building, room 102, on the Montana Tech campus.
Just in time for Valentine’s Day, Cutler Bros. will bring back to the stage a Kelly Cutler original, “Blind Date,” at 7:30 p.m. at the Cutler Bros. Theatre, 301 Main St, Deer Lodge. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased by calling 406-846-4096.
The Friends of the Hearst Free Library in Anaconda will show the film "Ninotchka," starring Greta Garbo and Melvyn Douglas, at 6 p.m. at 401 Main St., Anaconda. The movie is free, and so are the snacks. The 1939 American film was Garbo's first performance in a lighthearted comedy.
BROWN BAG LUNCH
The Butte-Silver Bow Public Archives at 17 W. Quartz will continue its Brown Bag Lunch series at noon with a presentation by Dave Stratton about the Highland Mountain Mining District. Stratton will present a brief history of the mining and the towns that grew overnight in the Highland Mountains south of Butte in the 1860's. His talk is based on historic records, articles, and oral history. Guests are encouraged to bring a sack lunch. Coffee and water will be provided.
Big Sky Senior Living's annual Chocolate Extravaganza begins at 2 p.m. at 3701 Elizabeth Warren Ave. There will be live music with Dan Felix. Details: 494-4900.
CLUBS AND MEETINGS
- Butte Sunrise Kiwanis Club meets at 7 a.m. at Perkins Restaurant. Guest speaker will be Janice Downey, development coordinator for the Butte Rescue Mission.
- Overeaters Anonymous meets at 6:15 p.m. at Gold Hill Lutheran Church, 934 Placer St. Details: 406-533-5454.
- Women's AA meetings are at 6:30 p.m. at The Springs, 300 Mount Highland Drive.
- Kiwanis Club of Butte luncheon is at noon at Perkins. Guest speaker will be R. Edward Banderob, chair, Butte Historical Society — BHS — Heritage Projects. He will talk about the National Historical Park & Local Heritage Area.
- United Veterans Council meets at 7 p.m. at the American Legion, 4 Mile Vue Road.
- Bingo is held at the Elks Lodge, Montana and Galena, at 7 p.m. All are welcome. The more people in attendance, the larger the payout. Details: 406-299-2443 or 406-490-3329.
- Al-Anon meetings: 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays, Gold Hill Lutheran Church; 7:30 p.m. Thursdays, Sharing and Caring, 2100 Farragut (rear entrance).
- Kiwanis Club of Dillon meets at noon at the Beaverhead Brewery, 218 S. Montana St., in downtown Dillon. Bob Pfister of the Youth Connections Mentorship Program, is the featured speaker. Visitors are welcome but if wanting lunch, need to call ahead to 406-660-2451.