Two school days skipped in strike must be made up

2011-09-13T04:15:00Z 2011-09-14T21:34:37Z Two school days skipped in strike must be made upBy Nick Gevock of The Montana Standard Montana Standard
September 13, 2011 4:15 am  •

The two school days missed last week due to a Butte schools administrators strike will have to be made up this year so that students receive the required amount of instruction time.

"They have a requirement of how many hours they have to fulfill," said Allyson Hagen, spokeswoman for the Montana Office of Public Instruction.

Fifteen Butte principals, assistant principals and directors in the Teamsters Union last week went on strike to protest the raises offered by the school board. The dispute is over a 1 percent difference that administrators are asking for in their "experience factor," which is calculated based on years of service to the district.

The board offered a 2 percent base pay raise in addition to the guaranteed raises administrators have in their contract. The district's offer would give every administrator a minimum 4.4 percent salary boost this year.

But the administrators want a 4 percent experience factor and offered to take 1 percent base pay raise. The board said last week that would cost the district an additional $118,000 over five years and rejected the proposal. The administrators went on strike beginning Wednesday.

Teachers, maintenance workers and other staff honored the strike and school was called off for two days.

But on Friday, District Judge Brad Newman issued a temporary order that restrains administrators from striking. The ruling came after parents filed suit in district court against the unions to force an end to the strike. Parents who said their children would suffer irreparable harm by missing out on sports and academic events filed the lawsuit.

Newman set a Friday hearing to determine whether his temporary order will become permanent.

The two sides are trying to schedule a mediation session this week, said Pat Fleming, a Butte lawyer representing the board.

State law requires that students receive 1,080 hours of classroom instruction. But Hagen said how that requirement is met is left up to individual districts.

And many have built in days throughout the academic calendar to account for snow days.

"How they chose to make that up is the school district's call," she said.

Superintendent Linda Reksten said picking the dates to make up the lost instruction time falls on a calendar committee that includes board members and teachers.

"We'll have to meet with the teachers' union in order to work out those days," she said. "It might mean taking a day less for Christmas and or spring break so we can end the same day, but that's up to the committee."

- Reporter Nick Gevock may be reached at nick.

gevock@mtstandard.com.

Copyright 2015 Montana Standard. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(6) Comments

1. RaisinCainVA
    RaisinCainVA - September 13, 2011 12:29 pm
    SWM said: "Mommy to 3....That is how unions work. Maybe if you had a union job you could bargin for better wages so you don't have to whine and throw your own fits. Sending your kids to school with no one else there would have been a GREAT solution. So, would you then sue the school dist. when they were hurt running around like monkeys within the empty school? I did't like having to keep my kids out of school either but, I know that this is part of having a school district that is back by unions."

Great opportunity to get rid of the useless unions in Butte.
  2. what the what
    what the what - September 13, 2011 10:33 am
    Mommy to 3 said: "My kids will not be making the days up. They didn't throw this fit and they won't be punished for it. I will follow the schedule that I printed online at the beginning of school.Further more, I don't appreciate the horrible work ethic that the administrators tried to teach my children. When you don't show up to work, you get fired. That's the real world. Welcome to it."

YOUR behaviour will teach your children a thing or two about how to be rigid and inflexible. Maybe this is a lesson for them and a perfect example to emphasize your point.
    How will you distinguish the difference between your behaviour and the stikers though to show that it's ok only for some and not others?

3. SWM
    SWM - September 13, 2011 9:51 am
  4. Mommy to 3
    Mommy to 3 - September 13, 2011 9:21 am

5. Mommy to 3
    Mommy to 3 - September 13, 2011 9:16 am
    You know, when I am not getting paid enough at my job I can't choose not to go to work. I would get fired and that's how the real world works. I don't appreciate the message to my children that when they don't like something, they can throw a fit and do whatever they want and still have their job. I work hard to show my kids what good work ethic is and that is exactly how I explained this situation to them, that it's not acceptable. If you don't like your job or feel that you aren't getting paid enough, then FIND ANOTHER ONE. There are lots of unemployed principals and teachers that would LOVE to get paid what you do. This is the only school system out of 4 that my children have attended where the teachers and other staff are ALL cleared out by 4, don't try to tell me otherwise because I have seen it with my own eyes.

My children will not be making up the days for the administrator's fit throwing. They simply won't be there. I am following the schedule that I was provided with already. WE have plans for Christmas break, spring break and for the summer. I'm sorry but we shouldn't be punished for all this childish bs. My children were ready, willing, and able to attend school on the days that the teachers/administrators didn't show up. Let the the No-Shows go to school and sit there all day by themselves. Take their breaks away. The kids didn't do anything wrong. This whole thing is soooo frusterating.

Still, no one has answered my questions as to who is going to foot the bill for the daycare bill the ENTIRE city of Butte aquired thanks to this nonsense. It's a hard time for all of us but we were expected to foot the bill for the missed days of school. I don't know about the rest of you but I was/am offended that there was no regard given to the struggling fmilies that couldn't afford to go to work or that had to pay for EXTRA care. It cut $90.00 out of our grocery money for the month.

If your income is so hard to live on, then you should try to live on mine. Get real, buck up, and put on your big girl/boy panties and join the rest of us struggling families.
  6. tarfu
    tarfu - September 13, 2011 6:43 am
    How about the administration growing a pair and TELL the teachers when the days are going to be made up.

If the union doesn't like it, tough.

Go on strike.

Hold your breath until you turn blue.

Pitch a fit.

It is time for the schools to be run professionally and not at the whims of union hacks.

Civil Dialogue

We provide this community forum for readers to exchange ideas and opinions on the news of the day. Passionate views, pointed criticism and critical thinking are welcome. Name-calling, crude language and personal abuse are not welcome. Moderators will monitor comments with an eye toward maintaining a high level of civility in this forum. Our comment policy explains the rules of the road for registered commenters. If you receive an error after submitting a comment, please contact us at editor@mtstandard.com.

If your comment was removed or isn't appearing online, perhaps:

1. You called someone an idiot, a racist, a dope, a moron, etc. Please, no name-calling or profanity (or veiled profanity -- #$%^&*).
  2. You rambled, failed to stay on topic or exhibited troll-like behavior intended to hijack the discussion at hand.
  3. YOU SHOUTED YOUR COMMENT IN ALL CAPS. This is hard to read and annoys readers.
  4. You have issues with a business. Have a bad meal? Feel you were overcharged at the store? New car is a lemon? Contact the business directly with your customer service concerns.
  5. You included an e-mail address or phone number, pretended to be someone you aren't or offered a comment that makes no sense.
  6. You accused someone of a crime or assigned guilt or punishment to someone suspected of a crime.
  7. Your comment is in really poor taste.
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick