Subscribe for 17¢ / day
Fire engine and ambulance stockimage

A residential fire that started early Friday morning was found to have started accidentally from a wood stove.

Brian Doherty, Butte-Silver Bow fire marshal, said Monday the fire began at 99 E. Third Street around 7:15 a.m. Friday. No one was hurt.

The owners of the house were home when the fire began. The wood stove was in a garage that was being used as part of the living space to the house.

The wood stove was the family’s only source for heat, Doherty said.

A female inside the house saw the fire jump from the wood stove and ran out screaming for her husband, according to Doherty. The male ran inside and found the fire already climbing up the walls, Doherty said.

The male used a fire extinguisher and then ran back out to grab another fire extinguisher. By then, the house was engulfed in flames.

Heavy smoke and flames were coming out of the first floor of the residence when fire fighters arrived.

2
0
0
6
0

Nat'l Resources / General Reporter

Environmental and natural resources reporter for the Montana Standard.

Load comments