Tony Sullivan


Police say a Butte man was cited for an aggravated DUI early Wednesday morning mere hours after he was arrested for the same crime in a separate incident.

The first arrest occurred around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, when police say that officers and a witness allegedly observed Tony Sullivan, 36, of Butte drinking inside his vehicle at a gas station on Montana Street and driving away.

Undersheriff George Skuletich said that officers followed Sullivan from Montana Street to the intersection of Idaho and Gold, where he began driving erratically, slowing and accelerating multiple times. After traveling a block south on Idaho Street, Skuletich said, officers pulled him over, at which point he failed a field sobriety test, and officers could observe an open container of beer in his car.

Skuletich said Sullivan was then taken to the Butte jail, where he failed another sobriety test, blew more than twice the legal limit on a Breathalyzer and was cited with an aggravated DUI, along with several misdemeanors.

Sullivan was booked at 10:10 p.m., but it didn’t take him long to bond out of jail, which he did at 11:55 p.m. with the help of a bondsman and $1,455.

But a few hours later, around 4:30 a.m. Wednesday, Sullivan was back in police custody, Skuletich said.

According to the undersheriff, police found the Butte man passed out and slumped over the wheel of his car with the ignition running on the 2000 block of Grand Avenue, where Skuletich said he hit a parked vehicle, causing minor damage to his car. Police were alerted to the scene by a resident in the area, who said that loud music was emanating from a parked vehicle and that a man, Sullivan, was asleep inside.

Skuletich said that when officers arrived it took them several minutes to rouse Sullivan. They could observe several open cans of beer in the car, along with a bottle of whiskey still containing alcohol. Officers called an ambulance, but paramedics did not recommend him for further medical treatment, Skuletich said.

After getting cleared by paramedics, Sullivan was transported to the Butte jail, where he again blew twice the legal limit and was cited with another round of charges, including a second aggravated DUI.

As of Wednesday morning, Sullivan remained in Butte county jail.


Business Reporter for The Montana Standard.

Load comments